Brief descriptions from Hawks’ History relating to the various settlements (reservations/territories) specified for Indian use in the post-Tuscarora War era.
The Indians, who, after the war of 1711-12 (ending in the migration of the Tuscaroras to New York), never were able to gather in such strength as made them formidable, were still wanderers in the province, living, as a whole, peaceably, and troublesome only by reason of individual depredations and crimes. It was deemed best now to give to them extensive territories, marked by well-defined limits, within which they might live and hunt unmolested by any white man, while they were allowed free permission, under proper restrictions, to associate with the whites in their settlements.
The Chowans were settled on a tract situated on Bennet and Catharine creeks. Here they might roam undisturbed over more than eleven thousand acres, a space surely ample enough for a people whose fighting men did not amount to fifty. This allotment of territory, however, had been made as early as 1714, and was now confirmed anew.
The Core, Cotechny, and Matamuskeet Indians were settled in Hyde county, around Matamuskeet Lake, on a tract of ten thousand acres, where an agent lived with them. King Blunt and his Indians had their territory on the Roanoke. The Hatteras tribe were on the sand-banks east of Pamlico Sound. They were very few and very poor, and the government, in their distress, always supplied them with food.
The Poteskeet or Currituck Indians lived on the banks that form the eastern part of the county of Currituck, and had permission to hunt there without molestation from any Englishman.
The Meherrins (who, we think, were remnants of the Susquehannocks of Captain Smith and the Jamestown settlers, one hundred years before) had their lands allotted them between the Meherrin and Blackwater. (1)
(1) For these localities, the authority is the “Minutes of Council.”
Entry above from History of North Carolina: With Maps and Illustrations. Volume: 2. Contributors: Francis L. Hawks – author. Publisher: E.J. Hale & Son. Place of Publication: Fayetteville, NC. Publication Year: 1858. (p 91)